Sunday, September 11, 2011

Emptying My Nest

 We got back from Sioux Falls on Monday. By Tuesday, Megan put everything she ever owned into the back of the Suburban for the Big Move To BYU-I. Since we planned to leave early Wednesday morning for the Big Burg, we sensibly stayed up until midnight on Tuesday to finish one last project. 
 

 It's a cute picture board, which I'm sure will be filled with  pictures of Megan's favorite parentals.

I've got to say, after moving 5 kids out, I was surprised to see that Megan really didn't have a lot of stuff.  Some of my girls, like Ashley or Jessica, who will remain nameless, had at least twice this amount.  We could have fit all of Megan's things and still have invited ten hitchhikers into the back of the 'Burb. Megan, I'm impressed!


Megan is living in Tuscany apartments, about 2 blocks from campus. Here is the living room:

TV and DVD player, because all college students have lots of time on their hands to watch TV, right?

Dining room and kitchen.

Walk-in pantry. Megan gets the bottom shelf. You better forage for more food, Megan, or you're going to be hungry!

The hallway storage closet. Megan gets the second from bottom shelf this time.

There are two showers/toilets like this,
  
and two sinks, mirrors, and cabinets like this.

There are six girls per apartment, and each girl gets her own room.
Stop that Megan! Your face is going to get stuck that way!

Megan's desk. BYU I now requires all students to have a laptop. Having a lamp is optional.

The closet. I'm impressed all of Megan's clothes fit easily into the closet. As you can see, BYU I apartments are almost as roomy and luxurious as those BYU Deseret Towers dorm rooms Stan and I lived in.
Megan is already feeling at home. I think she'll love college. It only took her 24 hours to go on her first double date. That's double date as in she and two previously unknown young men went to the movies. Don't worry. Megan has assured me she isn't getting married for dozens of years.  If she studies half as hard as she socializes, Megan should have no problem at all getting a 4.0 gpa.

On Saturday, we took a guided where's-my-class tour of campus with our personal tour guide.

You can't help but notice how much BYU-I looks like BYU. They have the same endless construction projects,

and the same beautifully kept grounds with the same brick and glass style buildings.


 As I watched Megan walking around campus, it suddenly occurred to me: MEGAN'S NOT COMING HOME WITH ME!!! At the same time, my allergies kicked in and my eyes began to water.


 This realization caused me to self-medicate at the nearest Kiwi Loco


 and distract myself by focusing on cute grandkids-Brinlee-age 2 1/2 months,

 and Krew, 2 years old. Then it hit me: these two sweethearts will be grown and gone before their parents can catch their breath.


 That sad realization sent me back to Kiwi Loco for more therapy.

 Finally, it was time for the Last Supper before I drive home. Bajios, our old Traditional Last Supper Spot is gone, so we started a new tradition at Red Robin.


Then it struck me--there is no New Last Supper Tradition. I'm not going to be launching anymore kids off to college!


That new realization made me so sad, I felt compelled to take the girls and go to the mall.  Here's Aunt Jessica and Brinlee. Brinlee is proving you're never too young to love shopping.



 Ha! I bet you thought I was going to say I went for more self help and got ice cream. Okay, I wasn't going to tell you, but we did.  This time we tried Twizzleberry.


 It was a lonely drive home. When I got to the house, I found everything was just as I left it...


 other than a few small changes Stan and I have made to Megan's room. I'm sure Megan won't mind that we've re-purposed her space.
 You're probably wondering what in the world I'll have to blog about now that I can't pick on Megan. 
As soon as I get my darn eyes to stop watering, I'll show you!

1 comment:

Jorden and Jessica said...

Geez, suddenly I have allergies causing my eyes to water too! I just can't believe Megan is at that age and I REALLY can't believe you're empty nesters :( I hope you visit again soon. We just don't see you nearly enough!
PS. Did I really have more stuff then Megan?!?! I find that hard to believe. I mean ME?!?! Ashley on the other hand...