Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Teaching The Old Dogs New Tricks


Stan and I have been learning a lot since Megan left the nest.
1. We've been downsizing for the past 15 years, but I still find myself cooking for a crowd, even though I made the oatmeal muffins and crock pot dish off of a "cooking for two" website. I've learned I need to find a different website.
2. I've learned I may have over planted my garden.  I figure we will need to eat a squash a week from now till next season to get through our winter squash harvest.


 The tomato situation is even worse. I've been picking and preserving for several weeks.



 I figure we will need to eat a preserved tomato product every 1 1/2 days to get through our current tomato bonanza before next summer.



3. I discovered I have more time. Megan loves this dress we bought at Dillard's. Unfortunately, someone forgot to add the bottom four inches of it. I finally found time to remedy that situation. Luckily, I learned I also have time to stand in line at the post office for an hour and mail it to Megan.



 4. I've learned that any and all church events revolve around food. Here's what I took to the temple this morning for our "Stake Sisters at the Temple" session. One of my counselors is bringing the rest of the food. Next week is the broadcast and we get to do it all again, AND decorate tables, too.


5. Through sad experience, I have learned that when something breaks, there is no one to blame.  Even more tragically,

when something gets eaten, it's much harder to explain. I'm thinking about getting a goat I can scape.



 6. I've discovered our house has been sooo quiet. Fortunately, someone intervened.
Makayla and Hailey both took a sick day this week--instead of school, they came to Grandma's house for some TLC while Amy was at school and at work. As you can see, Hailey is dying of stomach flu and crabbiness.

I was forced to pull out "Grandma's Magical Flu and Cranky Cure".  Hailey had 10 or 12 doses.


 It completely ended the throwing up, but didn't do much for the crankiness.


Makayla  has the worst diaper rash I've ever seen. Additionally, there's something seriously wrong with her hair. She's treating that diaper rash by keeping her ointment nearby as she's eating 4 or 5 peppers I picked from the garden this morning. 


Those peppers didn't do a thing for her hair problem. Makayla, you should have tried my ice cream magic.



7. We have learned we will survive. We may even be having fun, but don't tell the kids. They may be tempted to come home and see what we're up to.


2 comments:

Lisa said...

I know where I'm coming when I get sick ;-) Looks like you're enjoying yourselves!

McKay and Ashley Pearson said...

You may send your extra veggies our way! Those poor girls! Thank goodness grandma has the perfect meds for them. And where was that magical med when we were kids?