Thursday, August 11, 2011

Shelly Gets Really, Seriously Old

Shelly was my toughest baby. She frequently walked around covered with bruises, like you see on her head in this picture of Shelly at 14 months. Shelly was always very physically active, and climbing was her specialty. Shelly was walking well at 8 months 3 weeks old, and no fall or injury ever slowed her down.


Shelly was a sweet little girl. She didn't talk in sentences until well past four years old. Just between you and me, I worried that she wasn't that bright. She pretty much spent the rest of her life proving that theory wrong.
 Shelly age 3


I think one of the reasons she was so slow to talk was because she always had her thumb in her mouth. She was also our only "blankie" baby. She became firmly attached to this blanket Aunt Angie made for Scott, with cowboys and Indians on the reverse side.  Finally, after 4 years of Shelly's nonstop thumb-sucking, I promised her a care bear if she gave up her blankie and thumb and she caved.
Shelly, age 4.


Shelly loved dressing up when she was little. I made all of her dresses, and she always asked me to make sure they were "twirl dresses".
Shelly, age 4


 Because Shelly was so slow to talk, and because she has such a late birthday, we made the decision to hold her out of Kindergarten for a year.  I'm not sure she always appreciated being older, but it made things nice for dating, driving, and being tall for basketball.
Shelly, age 5

Shelly is the perfect oldest sister.  No one was more patient with her siblings or more helpful to her busy mom.
Shelly, age 9, Amy, age 5, Jessica, age 2


Shelly was 10 when Ashley was born. Ashley usually preferred Shelly to me. Ashley would call for mom, and when I would respond, she'd say "No, my Other Mommy!' I was okay with letting Shelly be her other mom.
Shelly, 10 and Ashley 6 months 

Shelly came of age during the big bang era of fashion.  Let me apologize now, Shelly, for all of those years of huge bangs on the top of your head.
Shelly, age 10

Shelly often had long, long hair until around high school graduation, when she let someone chop it off at the graduation party. When she went off to college, it wasn't unusual for me to get email updates from Shelly at 1:30 am saying "I got tried of my hair and cut it myself.". I was pretty sure she'd be bald before college was over.
 Shelly, age 11

Shelly loved to play sports. She did sports year round in high school.  She was particularly good at basketball. She was the starting center on Skyview basketball team.
 Shelly, age 13


What can I say? Shelly is a perfect daughter--cute,  high school valedictorian, good at sports, kind to her siblings and friends, never got into trouble, and always very motivated. She really has been a joy to have in our family.
Shelly, age 15


 Shelly, you are easy to love.
Shelly, age 17, Megan age 2 

Have a wonderful 31st birthday!
Shelly, age 18

4 comments:

Jorden and Jessica said...

Happy Birthday Shelly!! I agree with Mom, you were & are the perfect big sister! Thanks for your example! I hope you and Ken get time to celebrate!

Judy said...

I love this series of pictures. I think it really captures the hurricane that is parenting--kids move by fast and leave a lot of destruction (or love) in their wake.

Lisa said...

Loved all the "old" school photos ;-) Happy birthday to Shelley!

Scott and Lindsay said...

Yea! Happy birthday Shelly!! (Between you and me, I always thought you were smart!) : )