Thursday, April 15, 2010

Today Is My Lucky Day....

...but I'm not counting my unhatched chickens just yet.


On February 17, 2006, the front end of this car was hit by the front end of a stop-sign-running driver. She went to jail on an outstanding bench warrant, I went to the repair shop followed by the poor house-other driver was not insured. On Monday I received an official-looking letter from the city demanding that I appear in court today regarding this matter or go to jail for failing to appear. No explanation, no bring this information, no "is this a convenient time for you?"

So, good citizen that I am (and not wishing to be a jailbird), I went to court. Shockingly, other driver wasn't there! Turns out she's been in three accidents in five years, and pulled over for other reasons twice, each time with a suspended licence and no insurance, and each time she's failed to appear in court.
Is it just me or is there something wrong with that picture?
I testified. Yes, I'd been in an accident. Yes, it was judged to be 100% other driver's fault. Yes, I was out money--the $1000 deductible. Yes, my insurance paid the rest since I had comprehensive coverage.

Then it was other driver's lawyer's turn. I guess you get a lawyer even if you don't come to court. How old was this car?(1999) How much was the repair bill? (don't remember) Why didn't they total it out? (don't know) How many miles were on it at the time of the accident? (around 100,000) What was the blue book value at the time of the accident? (don't know) and finally "HOW LONG DO YOU THINK SUCH A HIGH MILEAGE VEHICLE WOULD HAVE LASTED ANYWAY???" "Well," says I, "at least another 110,000. That's how many miles I've put on it in in the 4 years since the accident. And optimist that I am, I hoping for another 50,000 until we can launch our last child and buy our sports car." The judge laughed. The lawyer fell silent. I'm thinking the lawyer thought that car was in a scrap pile.
A real Perry Mason moment.
The judge thanked me for my testimony, awarded me a $1000 judgement, and said they'd be sending me checks as the money came available from other driver's garnished wages.

Excuse me if I don't hold my breath waiting for that check in the mail.

5 comments:

Judy said...

You might not get the money in the mail, but based on your performance, the court should offer you a job as an expert witness any time now. The money is going to roll in.

ElderP said...

Don't think you wont get the money. The government is pretty persuasive. We were robbed in Colorado for a significant amount and a year later we got the check in the mail. People can run, may take time, but not forever.

David Kenison said...

You never cease to crack me up, Chris. (If I end up being totally cracked, I can distribute the blame between my two younger sisters.) Thanks for sharing this latest escapade. Best wishes for a speedy reimbursement!

Angie said...

I wish I'd been there to see this court scene. What a great response to the dumb lawyer question! Good luck collecting.

McKay and Ashley Pearson said...

That is hilarious! That sounds just like you. way to tell him mother!