Saturday, April 16, 2011

I Love Spring


Spring has always been my favorite time of year.  We don't always get to see spring in Montana--often we move directly from winter into summer.  I refuse to think about the snowstorm arriving tomorrow and Monday.  Today the daffodils are blooming in my yard.

Pots of pansies are appearing on my porches.

Whenever I see a pansy, I always think of the disparaging way Mom referred to certain people as "Pansies".  It makes no sense.  Pansies are colorful, interesting, and hardy.  

 If someone called ME a pansy,
I'd want to say "Thanks!  That's the nicest thing I've been called all week!"

My perennial beds are awakening. 
I should be out, cleaning up my garden before Monday's snowstorm.

The rhubarb is taking off. I'm looking hard for a rhubarb ice cream recipe.

Apart from the gathering clouds, it's hard to believe we've got cold weather coming through again. 
Stan and I enjoyed the day sitting in the grass at the park, enjoying the sunshine,

 and watching Megan play tennis.  She's currently ranked second on her high school team.


We are not surprised.  She has a killer serve. AND she looks cute in the school's tennis uniform. See that lump on her left skirt side?  That's either a tumor or where she stores her extra ball.
 Or maybe "a moment on the lips, forever on the hips" really is true.
That's it! No rhubarb ice cream for you, Megan!
 Being the amazing mom I am, I'm willing to sacrifice my hips and eat your share for you.


Megan plays doubles.  I wanted to take a picture without the chain link between us, but Megan said that fence is meant to keep parental units out. 
You learn something new everyday.  I always thought it was to keep balls in.
Megan and her doubles partner.

We've been watching our kids play various sports for somewhere around 28 years.  We are quickly coming to our VERY LAST sports event. We're going to have to find new ways to get hoarse voices, sunburns, and the sore muscles that come from sitting on hard benches and cold grounds....

3 comments:

Jorden and Jessica said...

Ranked 2nd?! Wow Megan that's awesome! I wish i could see you play! Maybe you can take a video Mom? I had no idea that's why they have a chain-linked fence either!

Judy said...

Megan, you really are quite an awesome young lady.

Chris, you sound almost SAD about being done with sporting events. Maybe Megan could play intramural sports at BYU-I and you could go down to watch both her and McKay play. Sounds fun!

chrisjones said...

I am sad! I met a lot of other parents that way! How am I suppose to meet new people now!?!?