Monday, April 18, 2011

A Spaetzle Noodle In Our Streudel

Today is Oma's birthday.  She would have been 116. 
We always celebrate this day by having one of our favorite family dishes, a German dish Oma frequently made.
 Oma, age 57


Makayla and Hailey joined me in kitchen to mix the dough

and stir the lentils.

April 18, 1993 was the date Megan was suppose to be born.  She ended up running several days late.
Now that I know Megan, I'm not surprised.
We thought it appropriate to recruit her to squish the dough.


Megan was concerned about getting spaetzle elbow.
That would be bad.  She has some important tennis games coming up.
She got a little steamed about it.

We decided it was time to pass the noodle squisher and Stan stepped in.

Ta-da! Oma's Spaetzle und Linsen (Spaetzle and Lentils).

Makayla dug right it.

Even Hailey liked it.

 Makayla loved the lentils, something I couldn't eat without gagging until I was 31 2/3 years old. 

Now I love them. Old age will do that to you.

We always freeze the extra in individual serving size-one cup noodle, one half cup lentils. It is by far our most popular leftover.  I send frozen baggies of spaetzle and lentils off to college with my kids to give them a taste of home when they get homesick.

Now that dinner is over, I'm going to stay out of the kitchen and hope the clean up elves stop by before I go down to breakfast tomorrow.


4 comments:

Judy said...

Yum, this is one of MY favorite leftovers too! Unfortunately, it is never what Bob chooses for his birthday dinner. I keep suggesting it, but he never cooperates.

Bob said...

Judy can always have it for her birthday dinner. I'd be happy to try and make it for her. I'm glad you've continued the Oma tradition - hard to believe she would be 116. She probably lived as long as she did because she ate that stuff. Me, I'll continue to eat stuff that's not as good for me and bow out a little earlier.

Jorden and Jessica said...

I LOVE spaetzle and Lentils! It's one of my favorite meals! Wish you could send some down to me....

Angie said...

We had lentils and spaetzle yesterday too! AND Zwetschgenkuchen ...