Saturday, June 5, 2010

Playing In The Dirt

Now that the fence is up and the temperatures are stable, I decided to force myself to quit scrubbing the toilets and work on finishing the yard work today.  It was a tough decision.  You know how much I hate yard work!
I got my garden gear on.  For some reason, Megan always cringes when I come out of the bedroom this way.  I'm pretty sure it's because she is totally coveting my fashion sense.

Oh, Megan, there's so much to teach you, so little time.

My potatoes, which I planted in April, are doing well.

In April, I also planted pots and pots and pots of squash to give them a good start.


They spent their days on the porch and their nights indoors.


Stan made me this fabulous, 12" deep raised garden between pounding boards on the fence, which I planted with bare root roses on Thursday.

By today they were already leafing out.

I planted zucchini, spaghetti, delicata, kabocha, acorn, butternut, and buttercup squash, as well as pumpkin along the length of our new fence.

They are all winter squash, except zucchini, and we love to store
and eat our winter squash all winter long.

This is the front yard, to the left of our driveway.  There used to be small river rocks here, which we painstakingly picked out.  It's a great garden spot, getting full sun all day.  This is cucumber and a cantaloupe which is planted in a wall o' water, helping it think it is actually growing in California.

I planted 18 tomatoes in this front yard spot.  We will not have red tomatoes until early September, then we will have 17,953 of them a day before the first frost.  There are also 16 mild to super hot peppers planted along the sidewalk in front of the tomatoes.  The delicate, exotic green things growing among the tomato plants are "weeds".  "Weeds" are Monday's chore.

In addition to the rose boxes, I also have raised beds of carrots, beans, peas, herbs, cabbage (below), bok choy, lettuce, radishes, beets, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and grapes.
Can't wait for my first water bill!

1 comment:

Shelly and Ken said...

WOW! I am so jealous mom. That is an amazing garden!