Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Archeological Dig

In Montana, it's pointless to wait to do Spring Cleaning.  By the time spring arrives, it's late June or early July, and we're quickly moving on to summer activities. Since I've been basically housebound by snow and cold, I've been doing some seriously closet cleaning.

I'm finding all kinds of amazing treasures, like Kailyn's backpack,

and this cute frame Megan bought a couple of years ago in Disneyland.

I helpfully filled the frame with pictures of Megan's favorite people and set it in her room.

A day later, it mysteriously appeared on my dresser.

I found a better spot in Megan's room and set it back up.


Oddly, it reappeared almost immediately on my dresser.

That's okay.  I've got a new plan..

The next thing I found was this baby quilt top .  It's not just any baby quilt top.  I bought the fabric almost 30 years ago, sometime after Shelly was born, intending to make a quilt for her.

After Amy was born, I cut it out.  I didn't see it again until after Ashley came, at which time I pieced together all of the nine patch squares.

Around the time Shelly found out she was having a girl (Kailyn), I took it back out and finished the top.  I intended to hand quilt it. Ha! Never happened.

Instead I bought some Minky for the backing,

and got someone to machine quilt it.

About this time I hit a major roadblock.  I woke up very early Saturday morning with an excruciating toothache.  Fortunately, my nephew agreed to do an emergency root canal Saturday morning.  Even more fortunately, my nephew happens to be a dentist.  A good one. 

This allowed me to spend the last 24 hours either comatose from pain pills,

or groggily hand sewing the binding onto the quilt.

So, soon-to-be-here Baby Girl Bassett, here it is:
 YOUR QUILT WITH A HISTORY! 
The quilt that was going to be your mom's or one of your Aunt's, or maybe even your older sisters'! 


 I also found this queen-sized quilt top I made back in the 90s. 

I hope it doesn't take another root canal to help me find the time to finish it....

6 comments:

Shelly and Ken said...

I just talked to Dad. You poor thing! I hope you feel better soon and those meds are a thing of the past. Is the quilt really for baby girl Bassett? I love it! I am SO excited to get it.

Judy said...

Be careful on those meds, Chris. You might put the turquoise binding on the pink quilt. They are beautiful, by the way. I hope you can get your teeth back into life soon!

Jorden and Jessica said...

I think that is so cute! A baby quilt with real history! Sorry it took a root canal to get it done! I hope you get feeling better soon. I can't believe Megan didn't like that picture in her room I'd display those pictures on my front door!!

chrisjones said...

Yes, Shelly, it's good you decided to have a girl or it would be baby girl Pearson's quilt!

That is a great idea, Jessica! I bet Megan just wants me to put those pictures on our front door!

McKay and Ashley Pearson said...

Baby bassett PLEASE come out a boy! I'll take the one from the 90's though to compensate

Doris said...

What a great seamstress you are Chris!