Thursday, March 3, 2011

Cha-Cha-Changin'

Stan has been married to the same person for nearly 34 years.
I've been married to the same person for nearly 34 years.

Stan and I have had the same kids for a long time

and even though they've changed a little over the years,

one of them has been around for 32.86 years or so.

We've lived in Montana for almost 30 years, somewhere around 3/5 of my life

We've lived in the same house for 25 1/2 years.

Stan has worked for the same firm for nearly 30 years.

He loves his view out his office window. He's been enjoying it for years. From this window he can see the hospital where he was born, his childhood home, his elementary, junior and high school.


I know what you're thinking:
"Wow, those Joneses are stuck firmly in a rut!"

All that is about to change. Today Stan is starting a new job. 
The last few months have been a nightmare of frustrating, humiliating, and depressing events, culminating in Stan's decision to change employers.  He has become increasingly disgusted by the way his firm tries to force investments on some clients and charges exorbitant fees to customers with smaller accounts.  And if that isn't enough, he has been subjected to a boss who insists on telling him he's going to hell because of his religious beliefs, and that this treatment is God's way of punishing him for his religious choices, and that he hopes Stan is looking for "other options". 

These last few weeks have been agonizing.  Stan couldn't eat.  He couldn't sleep. Stan didn't know when he went to work each morning if he'd have a job when he got there.  His confrontations with his boss have become increasingly stressful.  He hated the growing feeling he could no longer recommend investments in the best interests of his clients. 

Fortunately, he is a top producer in our area, and has been headhunted by a number of firms in the last five years.

Finally, he got the right offer from the right company at the right time.


By the way, that's pronounced "Steefle". 




So last night Stan, Megan, Stan's brothers, sister-in-law, and I visited his old office after closing time and cleaned it out.

Stan signed the Stifel contract, did the paper work, and this morning he turned in his letter of resignation at the old firm and moved to a new job with a new company.  He didn't have far to go. The new office is right across the street from the old.

 We're both a little nervous. 
Although there are 5 other Stifel offices in Montana, the first Stifel office opens in Billings today. 
Stan is currently its sole stockbroker.
It's scary to be starting over at our ancient mature age.

But we know it can't be worse than the last several weeks.

14 comments:

Jorden and Jessica said...

GO DAD! We're praying for you! Stifel is so lucky to have you and that... um... other company is seriously missing out on an amazing person! We love you!
P.S. We need to update the kids picture again. We've all changed a lot again. Excuse to all get together?! I love those two pictures!

Judy said...

Congratulations on having the guts and integrity to do this. I can't believe your "boss" can get away with what he was doing. Is there such a thing as "religious harassment"?

Judy said...

P.S. I love those two pictures of your kids. What a beautiful family.

Bob said...

Good job Trash, I'm proud of you. Gutsy move and one I'm sure you'll be happy you made. I love the secret cleaning of the office in the night!

Shelly and Ken said...

I second all of Jessica's comment. I am so glad that the big day is finally here. We love you both and are praying for you in these next few months as you make the transition.

David Kenison said...

Wow - congratulations and hurray!! I didn't know staying in Billings was going to be an option. So glad you've found a new path to start down. We wish you all the best in the new endeavors!!

Lisa said...

Wow! I had a feeling it was a new job! How exciting! I thought you were going to move somewhere exotic but at least we'll get to still see you when we come to town ;-)

McKay and Ashley Pearson said...

Go dad! I love you and am so proud to call you my father! You are such an example to me. I am so glad this day is here and everything went good. We love you guys!

chrisjones said...

Thanks for all of your support. I really appreciate it. It means a lot to me.
Now to re-build my business and get my old clients to move. That will take some time and a lot of work. The work does not concern me. I just worry that my clients won't come. Well, so far today, the response has been pretty positive.
I love you all. Dad, Stan, & brother-in-law to the best trash-fach this side of the Mississippi.

ElderP said...

Congrats on the new job offer.

Nick Jones said...

I'm glad you were able to find a new job and one in Billings no less! I was getting worried you were going to have to move. Congratulations and Good luck with all of the new changes!

Doris said...

Amen to all those comments! Can you take any clients with you? Can you let them know where you are?

Angie said...

Late congratulations! Stifel Nicolaus is one lucky company!

timkonni said...

Revenge is best served cold, Stan.
Best of luck from your favorite brother in law (on your parent's side)