Monday, July 19, 2010

Bahamas! Part 3: Swimming like a fish and eating like a glutton

Our final docking spot was a private island called Stirrup Cay Island.  Did I mention how amazingly beautiful, colorful, and clean the water is in the Bahamas?  Not to mention the sand, which is incredibly white, soft, and clean.


We went snorkeling in this bay.  Stan laughed so hard when he saw me in my snorkel gear, I knew there could be no pictures.  I've never been snorkeling and just so you know, it takes tremendous concentration to do it right.  I swallowed so much water that the ocean level dropped at least a foot.  However, when I finally got the hang of it, it was an amazing experience.  There were so many fish and plants to see---just like in the films you used to watch at school. We saw at least a dozen different kinds of very colorful fish and lots of interesting plants.  After snorkeling for about an hour, I was so sick from all the saltwater in my system, I had to go ashore.

The obvious cure for an upset stomach is to eat lots of food.  So I did.  The food on this cruise was incredible!


We had six dining rooms to choose from, or we could eat at the buffet.  We could eat at any time of the day or night, and usually could get a seat by the window.


Our favorite appetizers were sweet potato bisque, the shrimp cocktail pictured here,
and a sausage doo-hicky thing.


Our favorite main dishes were the lobster tail and the fish hot bowl.
Our favorite desserts were coconut souffle with mango sauce and German chocolate cake.

They also had free soft-serve ice cream, which as my children know,
 I have a slight self-control problem with. 

Sadly, the serving size was appropriate only for a gnome. 
The correct serving size for this item is approximately 93.7 times bigger.
Next:  Part 4: The lonnnnggg journey home.

7 comments:

Judy said...

So, what exactly was the outcome of snorkeling saltwater + food overdose? That food looks pretty divine. What is the thing carved as a swan? A watermelon?

chrisjones said...

snorkeling saltwater + food overdose=nap on the beach and full recovery. Yeah, that's a watermelon.

McKay and Ashley Pearson said...

The ice cream thing reminds me of our trip to New York! I do not think a meal went by without a serving (or 2)of ice cream. Oh how i miss those days! And I am very impressed that you went snorkeling! Sounds like it was amazing

Bob said...

I would like to see a fish perspective of the snorkeling thing. Looks like wonderful eats.

La Candáche said...

The trick with snorkeling is to keep your snorkel above the water ;) The food sounds amazing! I think I'm going to have to try going on a cruise next!!

ElderP said...

Fancy watermelon! You should try scuba diving, then you don't have to worry about water in your snorkel.

chrisjones said...

Scuba diving gives me claustrophobic nightmares. I'll stick to swallowing the ocean.