Saturday, July 31, 2010

There's Something Squirrelly About The Tomatoes

Every morning I can watch this little guy running up and down the tree in front of my bedroom window. 
He seems to be looking for something, but I never see him find it.


I can totally relate to Mr. Squirrelly.  I'm doing the same thing in my tomato patch.  Usually I start finding ripe tomatoes around July 4th.  This year I'm running back and forth through the tomatoes and all I'm seeing are huge, lush, green tomato plants,


covered with nothing but green tomatoes.  
Thanks to the cool summer, wet weather, and hailstorm damage, the garden is really behind this year.
\

Until today!  This morning I found my first red tomatoes. 
Yeah!
Let the salsa season begin!


Unfortunately, lots of my tomatoes are going to look like this:
 and I've yet to see even one squash. Not even a zucchini.
That hailstorm left some permanent bruises. 
 I hope Squirrelly's acorns are going to do a little better so that he can relax a bit....

No comments: