Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Clarification

There are a few things in my life I need to clarify.

Clarification No. 1
 It is still winter in Montana. 
 Icy, cold, drifting snow winter.  If Megan doesn't drive 50 mph down Paul Revere when she leaves for seminary at 6:25 am, she will get stuck.  If Megan gets stuck, I have to come push her out of a snowbank. 
 I will be coming to help in my PJs, slippers, and uncombed hair so that she's motivated to not get stuck. So far, she's been stuck twice. She's learning.
 
Clarification No. 2
Contrary to impressions left by the last few posts, Makayla is not throwing constant, obnoxious, 2 year old temper tantrums.
Most the time she's dang cute.

She's becoming more vocal,

picking up lots of new words and phrases like "Megan's shoes!" and "More broccoli!"

How can you not love a two year old who asks for broccoli??

How could anyone not enjoy spending time with this child?  Even her tantrums are hilarious.

She brings a smile to my face,

and that hair always makes me laugh.

Clarification No. 3
I'm not done with my bucket list.  Here's my bucket.  People have been helpfully sending recipes for me to try in my bucket.  I LOVE getting new ice cream recipes.  I've got about a dozen left to try after today.  That's only two week's worth.

 People had better keep sending them or I'm going to run out.


Tonight for supper we had shrimp fajitas.

So (obviously) I chose pumpkin flavored ice cream to go with the fajitas.

Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
Ingredients:

1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon of ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1 cup of pumpkin puree
3/4 cup of sugar
8 oz of cream cheese
2 cups of  heavy cream
1 cup of whole milk
1/2 cup of crushed cinnamon graham crackers
pinch of salt

Directions:

In a mixing bowl add the pumpkin puree, ground cinnamon, ground ginger and ground nutmeg. Stir the ingredients together and set aside. In a medium saucepan combine 1 cup of heavy cream sugar and milk. Dice the cream cheese into little chunks and add to the saucepan. Over medium heat stir the ice cream base until the sugar and cream cheese dissolve.

Add the pumpkin puree into the ice cream base and then stir until everything is fully incorporated. Pour the ice cream base through a fine mesh strainer into a mixing bowl.  Pour in the remaining 1 cup of heavy cream. Place the pumpkin cheesecake ice cream base in an ice bath for 1 hour then refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Mix the ice cream base according your ice cream manufacturer directions.

Once the ice cream is a soft-serve consistency then scoop it out into a freezer safe container, incorporating the crushed cinnamon graham crackers. Let the ice cream set in the freezer for at least 4 hours and then serve.


Megan said "I'm not diggin' it",
but agreed it was better than the last vegetable ice cream I tried--Butternut Squash. 

That's not saying much.  It's almost an insult.


That Megan is hard to please.  If I ever find an ice cream she loves, I'd probably die of shock. 

Thanks for not killing me off, Meg.

Stan said it was "smooth" and "not bad".  Not exactly a ringing endorsement.  I'm glad I tried this flavor, but I think we all agreed it was just "okay".  Oh well- another day, another flavor!


3 comments:

ElderP said...

Thanks for adding yourself to the blog roll. How is the weather up there, Denise told me your entire stake canceled church, is that true?? Oh, and do you guys have Haggen Daz or Ben and Jerry's out there? Those are my favorite ice cream hangouts.

chrisjones said...

We are cold and snowy, but we had church. I think Angie’s stake cancelled today.

We have no Haggen, no Ben and Jerry, which officially makes Montana a third world country:P It also explains why I have to make my own ice cream.

McKay and Ashley Pearson said...

Makayla is soo cute I can't wait to see you guys in a week! And hopefully by the time we come up you'll find the perfect ice cream recipe for us to try!