Saturday, December 25, 2010

Here We Go Again--Part 3--Grand Finale

Oh Christmas morning, our tradition is to sleep in.  I've taught my family that Christmas day doesn't start until 8 am at our house, so there is no point in getting up before then.

We begin the day by eating a big family breakfast.

We traditionally eat whole wheat waffles with strawberries, raspberries, and whip cream.  Just to start out the day by overeating right, we also have sausage, bacon, chocolate milk, and eggnog.

When we get done with breakfast around 9:30, we move on to presents. We take turns opening presents; after you open a present, you choose the next present for someone else to open.  As you can imagine, this part of our day takes forever.


We have discovered that Christmas is a lot funner when you have little children around that you can watch open presents.


Megan opened these gloves last week so she would have gloves to go skiing with.  Naturally, I rewrapped them and regifted them on Christmas morning.

Stan got some cool sunglasses. 
Sorry, Honey, this particular pair of glasses didn't come with a motorcycle.

We have one major tradition that comes from Stan's childhood. It is, hands down, my least favorite tradition because it guaranteed Stan and I would not be done setting up Christmas until 2 am.  Unfortunately, it is a tradition my kids LOVED growing up.  It is the famed "Christmas Present Treasure Hunt".  Each child had one gift they would go on a treasure hunt for.


This year, Amy sent Hailey and Makayla on a treasure hunt.
\

Hailey was pretty excited to look for clues.

 You know what this means, Amy.

This is the beginning of staying up way too late on Christmas Eve

to continue the family tradition

of over-tired moms and over-excited kids 
 on Christmas morning.

3 comments:

Jorden and Jessica said...

I loved those treasure hunts! But you're right I don't know if I want to start that tradition. PS.Hailey & MaKayla have cute pjs!

Doris said...

The system of the one who gets the gift picks the next gift comes from our mom. Always my favorite way of doing things.

chrisjones said...

Thanks for pointing that out, Doris. I was amazed when I found out that was not the universal way families opened gifts.