Friday, July 1, 2011

A Rude Awakening

This morning I was awakened at 5 am from a deep sleep by a ringing doorbell. I peeked at Stan; he had not even stirred. I had gotten to bed last night at midnight thirty, Stan got home from working on the duplex at 1:20 am. I foggily figured that made it my duty to answer the door.  I stumbled downstairs in my pjs to find two policemen on my front porch.

Suddenly my level of awakeness dramatically increased.

The police wished me a good morning as if they woke up middle age women in pjs at 5 am all the time. Weird. They explained that our neighborhood had been hit by thieves who were combing through cars looking for valuables-so far they had identified 40 cars that had been disturbed, including ours.  I pictured broken glass, ripped out stereos, and stolen ipods. I didn't think it was fair to hog all of the fun, so I woke Megan and Stan up to help check the three cars left out of the garage last night while the police waited.

We found wide open car doors, consoles, and glove compartments and stuff sitting on the seats, but not a single thing missing.
I figure the theives took a look at our mileage gauges and were struck with pity for us.
 No broken things, either. It is probably opportune that apparently no one in my family locks their car, allowing burglars to avoid window breakage.

Look-the thieves didn't even take Megan's indispensable Tide To Go. I was relieved to find everything ok, but still and all, opening the door at 5 am to a couple of police is not the most soothing alarm clock.


As long as I was up, I decided to stroll through the garden. My peas are in full bloom. I have a feeling they are going to be producing on the exact days Stan and I are cruising in Alaska. Anyone want to come pick some peas?


Do you recognize these flowers? They are really rather pretty close up. 
They're the humble flowers atop my potato plant.  They come in white

and purple. From a distance, these flowers are small and insignificant.  Up close, they are interesting and unique. I've got a talk on Charity to give in a branch in a few weeks. Surely I could work "The Parable of The Potato Blossom" into my message somehow. 
Maybe I could pass out sample potatoes during my talk to make it more interesting?


Getting such an unexpected early wake-up call this morning has pretty much wiped out my oomph level.  Fortunately Megan and her friend have more than enough energy to make up for my lack. They are on their way to a special evening Zumba exercise class, wearing these spiffy shirts they created today.


I'm thinking this is a funner way to raise your heart rate than the one I experience this morning.

6 comments:

Judy said...

Bob gets after me for not locking the car. I'll make sure to share this post with him--the best argument for non-car-locking I've read.

ElderP said...

We have had our car ran through twice, it isn't fun. Last time Denise lost her backpack. Which I actually thought was funny because it only had old magazines and diapers. The real thing you need to worry about is ID theft. Hope you got a police report number. That way if wierd things start showing up you can prove to the credit agencies that you did report the theft.

chrisjones said...

Excellent point, John. Identity theft had not occurred to me. I have the police report number taped to my fridge.

McKay and Ashley Pearson said...

Scary! I'm glad they didn't take anything! And I'm glad they didn't stop by our place if you know what I mean! Almost makes me want to lock our car and house door... almost

Scott and Lindsay said...

okay you gave me advise, let's see if it works! Will it let me post?? BTW-- scary!

Scott and Lindsay said...

yea! it worked! Thanks!