Thursday, May 13, 2010

Shoveling Snow






Phyllis Diller said:
"Cleaning the house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the sidewalk before it stops snowing."

Truer words were never spoken. This morning I cleaned my kitchen from stem to stern--counters, cabinets, appliances, table, and floor, until everything sparkled. Took me about 20 minutes.

Then Makayla came. For supper we had meat, wild rice, and watermelon. Makayla LOVES rice. She ADORES watermelon.


She began to shovel things right in.


Some of the rice even made it into her mouth.

Much of it didn't, a fact which Makayla did not appreciate.

That's okay, she just brushed it off the table...

...and onto her chair.
She didn't like the feel of rice underneath her bare feet.

That's okay, she just kicked it off the chair...
...and onto the floor.
When all of her rice was either in her tummy or on the floor, she moved on to the watermelon. Makayla doesn't just nibble the red part, she eats down to the rind and beyond.
I wonder why everything is sticky when the grandkids leave?

Anyone for pulverized watermelon?
Tonight it took me 45 minutes to restore order.

And Makayla will be back tomorrow.

Shelly, Amy, and Jessica, do you feel like all you do is clean up things you just got done cleaning up? It's true! Now stop shoveling the snow!

4 comments:

Judy said...

I think you should feed her in the empty bathtub or shower. Than all you have to do is "WHOOSH!" turn on the water and everything (even Makayla) is clean!

Jorden and Jessica said...

Yes!! And I only have one. I can't imagine what it would be like having 6! Mom, how did you always keep the house so clean with 6 kids?!

chrisjones said...

How kind of you to suggest our house was EVER clean when everyone was home, Jessica! Judy has the right idea. I wanted a drain in the middle of my kitchen floor so I could just hose things down at the end of a day.

Shelly and Ken said...

Funny you should say this. Saturday I cleaned everything spotless. Not even 24 hours later and our house is a disaster. Chase spilled cereal all over the floor and had dragged something out of the trash into the living room (he loves the trash can). I told Ken I am so sick of cleaning, I feel like I do it way to much (clean up breakfast, clean up morning chaos, clean up lunch, clean clothes, clean up toys, clean up spill after spill after spill, clean little bums, clean up dinner, etc) and the house still looks bad. I love that quote it is SOO true.