Saturday, May 7, 2011

Stan And Chris Paint The Town Red

Remember how Megan left home this week to go to Washington DC, leaving Stan and I HOME ALONE??  We've had quite the week of adventure, fun, and excitement.


I've been getting up with kids for nigh unto 33 years.  I decided I'd spend this week sleeping until noon.  Unfortunately, I discovered my internal clock is still set to "Mom mode".  I couldn't seem to sleep past 4 or 4:30.

We did lots of thrilling things this week like cleaning out the garage,

 and discovered it's so quiet with Megan gone that you can hear 

the flowers grow.

 We discovered that it takes an entire week to fill the dishwasher when there's just the two of us.

 We did manage to check out a few newer restaurants in town: De Camp's, which we thought was very overpriced and just so-so food wise,

and Asian Sea Grill, which was half as costly and much tastier.


Yesterday I ran over to Target to pick up a few things and experienced an epiphany.


If you flush the Target toilet just as your phone falls out of your pocket, the phone will disappear.  You can kick the toilet twenty-seven times, juggle the handle, shake the bowl, but your phone will not reappear.


 You can look at the toilet like this for ten minutes. No phone will be reappearing. You can even inform the Target staff that some idiot flushed their phone down a powerful Target toilet. You can try poking around with a stick. Nope. That sucker is swimming with the fishes.  

 So there's our exciting week. This empty nest stuff has uncovered a few more surprises.


 First of all, it's hard to take pictures of ourselves. When Megan leaves home for good, who is going to record our adventures?

 Second, we spent the week doing normal things: Stan put 80 hours in at the office, I put 90 hours into the yard. We may be a bit rusty at this "paint the town red" stuff. 
We're going to need years and years of practice.


6 comments:

Judy said...

This post got me laughing so hard that I started crying. Bob came running in to see what was the matter and I started crying harder. (It's been quite a week.) Thanks for the much-needed release. I hope you get a nice new phone. Was it an iPhone? If not, maybe the next one can be. Compensatory blessings, you know. (P.S. I love my Droid X.)

Rachael Hutchings said...

I am laughing so hard that the girls are looking at me with these astonished/alarmed/quizzical looks on their faces. Yup, mom has finally lost that little bit of her mind that she's been struggling to hold on to.

Jorden and Jessica said...

Mom! That sounds like something I would do! You must have done that after I talked to you this morning? If you have to get a new phone you might as well make it worth your while. Jorden also has the Droid X & loves it. But guess what Jorden got me for Mother's Day?! The iphone 4 I'm pretty sure I love it too!!!!

Bob said...

I have to attest to Judy's laughing. It has been a stressful week for her. You had her laughing so hard she was crying. She could hardly talk. Maybe we can help pitch in on a new cell phone. The release of tension could not have been better prescribed. We love your ability to laugh and make fun, even under difficult circumstances. Just for the record, I'm not sure you want the phone in your face even if the toilet just happens to magically regurgitate the contents. Some things are just better left alone.

chrisjones said...

Sadly, I gave my last eligible phone upgrade for awhile to Megan when her phone broke. The phone I now have is the cheap one I had to pay cash for—several levels below the one that went for a swim.

And thank you, Bob, for planting that picture in my head. I now feel better about letting my old phone go…

Scott and Lindsay said...

You know if by chance the next time you use that same toilet at Target, and you happen to find a phone in it, you can always dry it out by putting it in rice!! ;) (just don't eat the rice later, wink, wink)