Sunday, September 12, 2010

Up On The Roof Top AGAIN!

Stan finished our roof last weekend, and took a well-deserved next few days off.



Saturday he tackled the duplex.  The roof at the duplex is original, meaning it's forty years old.  It use to be gray.  Now it's faded to dirty white.

The roof has been needing to be replaced for awhile.  Despite all our efforts, the paint on the south side peels within a few months of being painted.  I did some Internet research and discovered that's likely due to the fact that moisture is getting into the walls because it's seeping through a weak spot in the roof.

The duplex roof is one long, straight piece, with no bends, turns, cervices, or tricky spots.  It should be a piece of cake compared to our house, right?

The tar paper is in amazingly good shape, considering its age
 (I hope someone, somewhere, is thinking that about me: "Wow! She's in amazingly good shape, considering her age!").


The shingles are brittle with age and pop off easily.
(I know.  Don't say it.  "Brittle with age" is what someone, somewhere, is really thinking about me.)


But not all the news is good.  Apparently, Makayla finds it hard to nap with pounding, scraping, and walking overhead.



That's okay. Amy soon left to take her to the doctor because she thinks all that blood and pus coming out of Makayla's ear means she has an ear infection.  Amy was wrong.  Makayla has TWO ear infections.
It's probably a good thing Makayla has only 2 ears. 

Meanwhile, back on the roof, with shingles off it's now easy to see that the newly uncovered plywood is brittle, ancient, suffering from dry rot in places, and a puny 1/2" thick.  Current ordinances require at least 3/4" plywood.  Stan spent a lot of the day replacing the worst of the plywood. Things move forward a bit slower than we hoped...

..and suddenly I feel a breeze as repairs mount, new construction materials need purchasing, and all of our workers put in longer hours.

The fun continues as Stan uncovers large wasp nests under the eaves,



so I'm buying lots of this:


and staying this far away.


On a side note, I bought Amy this plant for Mother's Day.  I couldn't help noticing how well it's doing as I run over to the duplex 549 times on Saturday. May I just say I'm shocked, amazed, and impressed that it's still alive?!?  Amy, next year we're going for the big time.


I think you're ready to be trusted with one of these!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aunt Christ, Just in case you were wondering, you're on my list of people I want to be when I grow up. You've been there for awhile, but every time I read your funny, brilliant posts I think it again. Uncle Stan is pretty cool too. :-)

chrisjones said...

Denise, what a nice thing to say!