Friday, November 5, 2010

And Now We Know The Rest Of The Story

Over the years, our children have created lots of memories. 
Those memories are the gifts that keep on giving.
"The family" August 1996



Today I pulled out some Thanksgiving decorations.  I set my cornucopia atop the armoire in its usual place.  I've had it for years-look at that bedraggled ribbon.

Wait-I don't remember that ribbon on that cornucopia!

It really doesn't seem to match the colors of the rest of the arrangement.
 ARGH! 
Suddenly I realize what I am looking at!

Years ago, Ashley's friends got together and bought her a corn snake for her 16th birthday. The snake started out the size of a pencil and eventually grew to 3' in length The year Ashley was a Freshman in college, she came home to visit and in the ensuing chaos the snake, "Favio", escaped.  Ashley went back to college, Favio remained missing for 5 months.  Eventually we found him, burned, dehydrated and nearly dead in the storage room. (He died shortly after.) The storage room WHERE I KEEP THE THANKSGIVING CORNUCOPIA!!  YUCK!

Ashley and baby Favio, early fall 2006

 Apparently, Favio was touring the holiday decorations during his missing months.  Apparently, Favio shed during that time.  Did I say "YUCK"?
Thanks, Megan, for removing the snakeskin from my fake fruit. 
And thanks, Ashley, for making life interesting.  I will call you tonight at 2 am
when I awaken from my nightmare.

4 comments:

Judy said...

Awesome story. I'm glad we're not the only ones with reptile adventures in our past. I feel your pain (and your shock upon discovery).

McKay and Ashley Pearson said...

Ohh Favio! Don't you miss him! That's pretty funny. It's like he left a farewell present to remember him by. I'm trying to talk McKay into letting me get another snake. I figure if I start now, maybe he will let me get one in about 10 years

Jorden and Jessica said...

That is so funny! I'm glad I didn't find that; lucky you!

Bob said...

What an awesome cornucopia. It had real character. I can't believe you ruined it by removing the authentic snake skin. Especially tragic since said snake is now with its cousin learning how to tempt young maidens to eat apples.