Friday, November 12, 2010

Putting The I in Ice Cream

My children may be vaguely aware of my slight love for ice cream.  My favorite kitchen appliance is my Cuisinart ice cream maker.  With the marvels of the modern technology,
 I can make ice cream any time I want.


We are less than 2 weeks away from Thanksgiving.  It's time to seriously prepare by stretching out my stomach.  So I did.


Super lime ice cream
adapted from DavidLebovitz’s super lemon ice cream
2 large limes
½ cup + 2 tablespoons caster (super fine) sugar
½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 3 large limes)
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
pinch of salt

Zest the limes directly into a food processor or blender. Add the sugar and lime juice and blend until the sugar is dissolved. Blend in the milk and heavy cream.
Chill for 1 hour, then freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Makes about 1 quart (1 liter)

Yeah, that's a pathetically small amount of ice cream.  I'll have to make (and try)
a different kind tomorrow.

In an effort to have some bonding time with me, Megan forced herself to eat some.  Thanks, Megan.  I can always count on you to be nice to me.


I then forced myself to eat what Megan couldn't. 
After all, we needed the freezer space and I needed the calcium.
You may notice we are both wearing coats.  It takes considerable fortitude to eat ice cream in winter in Montana.  We just remind ourselves that "what does not kill us makes us stronger".  We are working on being stronger several days a week.

6 comments:

Judy said...

This looks yummy. Does your ice cream maker require salt and ice? I had one of those, and it seemed like so much work that I finally gave it away. If there's an easier way, I could get into this...

chrisjones said...

No salt and ice. You freeze the inner container, and 24 hours later pour the ice cream mixture in it, set it on the base. Twenty minutes later you have ice cream. The hardest part is remembering to freeze the container the night before.

Lisa said...

I like that! I am also currently working to expand my stomach (underneath my huge prego belly) for the up and coming feast...of course it is all sweet bakes...Oh, I love this time of year!

Jorden and Jessica said...

I want one of those!...because you do know you passed on your love for ice cream to me?!

David Kenison said...

You and I share some genetic programming. I'm proud of you.

Angie said...

To my children: I want one of these ice cream makers for Christmas.